Ackermann’s Repository, Full Dress, September 1810. 

This is a fascinating outfit that doesn’t really look like many other gowns I’ve seen from the period.  Notice that there isn’t a waist seam!  It is described in the text as a “French Gored Gown,” but I don’t know what that means, unfortunately.  My best guess is that the gores are in the skirts, which allows the fullness, but that is only a guess.  Are any of my readers familiar with this term?

  1. zumojuve reblogged this from damesalamode
  2. turnsmilewink reblogged this from damesalamode
  3. looklovelytogether reblogged this from missmorland
  4. missmorland reblogged this from regencyrose
  5. regencyrose reblogged this from damesalamode
  6. gokkivangogh reblogged this from laurenhairston
  7. laurenhairston reblogged this from abaronetsdaughter
  8. whattetheswyve answered: Gores are panels inserted into a skirt to give it fullness. Very common in medieval clothing.
  9. ladyladdlowe answered: That is a gorgeous gown!
  10. abaronetsdaughter reblogged this from damesalamode and added:
    L.O.V.E..thats what i would call it, but Gored would probably refer to giant princess seams that let the gown flow like...
  11. mimic-of-modes answered: I’ve never come across the term in this context, but I agree with your guess.
  12. variousinspiration reblogged this from damesalamode
  13. carolinemunro answered: I think that gore refers to the panel effect in the skirt.t
  14. historyismymuse reblogged this from damesalamode
  15. damesalamode posted this
blog comments powered by Disqus